I’m aware that I’ve already shared with lots of you starting university this month resources about finding a church there but thought it would be helpful to have it all written down somewhere so you can reference it. (I’m also aware that for quite a lot of you getting this it doesn’t apply to you yet but figured you might know someone who would find it useful/it might be useful for you in the future.)
Firstly though and most importantly just because you are now at university does not mean that we are no longer there to help and support you. We are praying for all of you at university and if you need help with anything please do reach out to us at any time and we can’t wait to catch up with you in the holidays and see how things are going. 😀
Why should I find a church at University?
Firstly though you may be wondering why should I bother with finding a church at university well there are a bunch of reasons:
- Firstly and most importantly it helps support us in our faith. (There is a reason churches already exist!) When we meet and share with it helps our faith grow and also encourages us to help others.
- It helps you meet people outside of University including people who are at different stages in life than you and breaks you out of the ‘student bubble’. Giving you friendships that aren’t just based on being at university (as important as those are) and another source of support for you.
- It can help get a feel more for the city you are living in and the communities around you.
- Also frankly it’s usually a good way to get a lot of free food with things like church lunches which is always appreciated!
So even if only some of those reasons make sense to you I would encourage you to still giving finding a church where you are living a try it can really help!
But there are lots of churches how do I find one that I feel at home in?
This is true there are lots of different churches in lots of different styles, feels and communities and it can seem really scary to go along to one you don’t know anything about possibly by yourself thankfully there are some things to help with this:
- Firstly every University will have some sort of Christian Union which is a university society that’s there to support people in their Christian faith. Most (if not all) of them will be doing events in the first few weeks where they will be getting people from different churches in the area to come and share about their church and what they do. As well as organising lifts/groups to walk to different churches on a Sunday. Get in touch with them see what they have going on!
- There is also a website you can use called Student Linkup run by an organisation called Fusion which you can find here – https://www.fusionmovement.org/find-a-church You can type in where you are going to university and they will show you all the churches in the area that are reaching out and supporting students. As well as giving information about the services/groups they do and how to get in touch. This website is amazing and well worth doing a search on and a good way to get in touch with a local church.
- Lastly, feel free to message us. It may well be we know someone who lives there or have links with a church in the area and can help you with finding a church for you. 😁
That’s helpful but I’m not sure this all seems a bit scary!
You’re right it can all be a bit scary especially as you are already meeting so many new people already and working out what life looks like now for you in a new place with a new routine. That’s okay though because other people will feel the same as well and I guarantee wherever you are there are people that want to help you find a church and community for you to be part of. I know for me when I was at university finding a church was one of the best decisions I made while I was there as they really helped me not only with my faith but generally with uni life and really supported me when I was struggling. It’s really is worth doing.
I hope this will help encourage and be useful to all of you who are off the uni this month. If you have any questions (or if you think there is something we’ve missed) please let us know. As I said at the beginning we love you, we are praying for you and we can’t wait to see you all again in the holidays to hear all about how it’s been going and if you are struggling with anything please do get in touch anytime we would love to help you.